Java Core Engineer
Palo Alto, CA / Remote
At Aklivity we are building a universal API layer for streaming by way of our event-driven API Gateway “Zilla”. We are focused on developer success, bottom-up adoption, and open source.
Zilla provides a unified, external interface to event-driven services and data. Zilla natively supports a range of network and messaging protocols, including Kafka. This enables it to expose event-streams to clients over their APIs of choice. Non-Kafka apps can now publish and subscribe to Kafka topics without the need for intermediary brokers, services and even Kafka Connect.
With Zilla, developers are empowered to extend event-driven architectures to the edge. Streaming data to mobile/web apps for immersive end-user experiences becomes simpler; ingesting IoT readings at scale becomes more cost-effective; providing external partners with secure access to internal event-streams becomes possible. Developers are also able to seamlessly interface batched services to event-streams, and bridge request-response and messaging deployments like never before.
The Aklivity team previously pioneered WebSocket, creating an enterprise-ready solution that still powers real-time applications across the Fortune 500 to this day. Aklivity launched in July 2021 and is backed by prominent Silicon Valley venture capital funds and leading industry experts.
The Impact You'll Have
- Contribute to the success of the Zilla open source project, firmly focused on meeting the needs of the community while maintaining a blend of configuration simplicity with high runtime performance.
- Work with the rest of the team and other key stakeholders to design, architect and build the Aklivity Kafka API Management service, bridging the worlds of request-response and messaging architectures.
- Triage product or system issues and debug/track/resolve by analyzing the sources of issues and the impact on hardware, network, or service operations and quality.
- Mentor and train other team members on design techniques, and coding standards.
The Superpowers You Possess
- A passion for working on deeply technical projects including distributed systems, concurrency & parallelism, application protocols, file systems & correctness.
- Solid understanding of the Java ecosystem (JVM, JRE, JDK).
- Solid understanding of web and network protocols and standards (HTTP, TLS, TCP/IP, DNS, etc).
- Solid understanding of messaging systems (Kafka, AMQP, MQTT, JMS).
- Excellent communication (verbal/written) and collaboration skills.
- Self-starter attitude.
- A BS/BA (MS/MA preferred) in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
Kindly Highlight (if applicable)
- Experience with Apache Kafka.
- Experience with Open Telemetry.
- Familiarity with CQRS, CDC, Event Sourcing.
- Exposure to API management.
- Experience deploying and managing applications on Amazon Web Services or on any other cloud platforms.